For many years as a full-time law enforcement officer I carried Speer Gold Dot every day as a duty round. Now Speer has taken their Gold Dot G2 hollow point bullet and modified it for the everyday carry gun market. This specialized ammunition is designed to provide superior feeding, ballistics, and terminal performance through compact handguns. Speer’s new Carry Gun lineup includes 9mm 135-grain, 40 S&W 165-grain, and 45 Auto +P 200-grain loads. Currently Speer Gold Dot is one of the top picks for law enforcement ammunition nationwide. With the new offering for the civilian concealed carry market, Speer has really expanded its lineup.
According to a recent press release by Speer and Vista Outdoors, not all carry gun ammunition is created equal. By taking the Gold Dot G2 bullet and customizing it to function in short-barreled defense pistols, Speer has created a self-defense load truly optimized for the guns in which it will be carried. Many shooters believe that a defensive bullet—any defensive bullet—will perform well in typical self-defense situations. But a bullet designed and optimized for a full-sized duty handgun may not perform to the same standard when shot from a short-barreled carry or backup gun according to a company spokesman.
Gold Dot Carry Gun features the original G2’s exclusive bullet nose design. Instead of a large hollow-point cavity, it has a shallow dish filled with a high-performance elastomer. On impact, the material is forced into engineered internal fissures to start the expansion process. The result is extremely uniform expansion, better separation of the petals, and more consistent penetration across barrier types. Speer Gold Dot Carry Gun also utilizes quality nickel-plated cases that feed dependably, advanced powders that perform consistently, and a sealed CCI primer that is sensitive and reliable.
Features of the new Gold Dot Carry Gun HP include:
- Gold Dot G2 bullet design optimized for compact carry pistols
- Shallow dish nose cavity filled with elastomer and structural-plated, pressure-formed core improve performance through barriers
- Extremely uniform expansion and penetration when fired through short barrels
- Exclusive Gold Dot construction virtually eliminates core/jacket separation
- Quality, reliable components and consistent accuracy and performance
Gold Dot Carry Gun is offered in the following choices:
- 9mm Luger 135-grain Gold Dot Carry Gun HP, MSRP, $28.99
- 40 S&W 165-grain Gold Dot Carry Gun HP, MSRP, $30.99
- 45 Auto +P 200-grain Gold Dot Carry Gun HP, MSRP, $33.99
The new Carry Gun Gold Dot is being shipped out to dealers now. More information can be found on the Speer website, www.speer.com