Project Farm tested five different rattle-can spray products sold as truck bed liner — which as we all know, is often used for other things as well. The purpose is to provide a tough, durable coating to a surface. But do they perform as advertised? Let’s find out.
The products tested are:
- Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating ($12.95, 16.5 ounces)
- EZ Liner Bedliner and Industrial Strength Coating ($18.96, 16.5 ounces)
- Herculiner Do-it-Yourself Truck Bed Liner ($14.36, 15 ounces)
- PlastiKote Valspar Truck Bed Liner ($14.85, 15 ounces)
- Rust-Oleum Truck Bed Coating ($12.99, 15 ounces)
Things they’re tested for include:
- Scratch resistance (winner: Rust-Oleum)
- Impact resistance (winner: PlastiKote)
- Chemical resistance (winner: EZ Liner)
- Cold weather performance (winner: EZ Liner)
- Hot weather performance (winner: PlastiKote)
Only one product held up to gasoline, and only one stayed durable in high heat (after sitting outside in hot sunshine for a while) — and those are different products. None of them are all-around impressive… but his personal choice is the mid-priced PlastiKote for his home in the midwestern USA.
Based on this, I don’t think I would spend the money on any spray-on bed liner. Would you? Check out the video and let us know.